"I have worked with Aaron since the early days of his career. He is bright, personable and accessible. His response time and attention to detail go unrivaled. That said, the key reason for retaining him is creative solutions." – National Group Leader, Financial Services Industry
Aaron is a partner at HMB and leads the firm’s Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Creditors’ Rights practice. He devotes his practice to solving his client’s most challenging insolvency and creditors’ rights issues.
Over nearly twenty-five years, Aaron led major engagements on behalf of corporate borrowers, lenders, financiers and vendors and, most notably, bankruptcy committees – both official and unofficial and trustees – in countless significant bankruptcies and workouts across the country and in many foreign countries. His clients span nearly every industry vertical including technology, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, energy and retail, from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies.
Prior to joining HMB, Aaron was a name partner at Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Hammer LLP and Chairman of its Executive Committee. Aaron’s role leading major engagements both domestically and internationally has earned him the Turnaround Management Association’s prestigious Large Transaction of the Year award—twice. In 2020, Aaron and his team received the association’s Small Business Turnaround of the Year for its representation of RED South Beach.
Relationship-Based Approach, Business-Oriented Solutions
Clients rely on Aaron’s business-oriented, relationship-based approach to solve their most challenging insolvency and creditors’ rights issues in both distressed transactions and related litigation. He is known for his leadership and commitment to charity in the Chicago and South Florida communities and beyond.
- Counsel for Lason, Inc., DIRECTV Latin America, LLC and Metal Management LLC in their successful chapter 11 multi-million dollar debt restructuring proceeding before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Counsel for Chellino Crane, Inc. and its subsidiaries in its successful sale under Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.Counsel for the Official Committee of Equity Security Holders In re AgFeed USA, LLC, et al. in their successful sale of a multi-national farming operation before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Counsel to the Official Creditors’ Committees for: In re Thrush Aircraft, Inc. (Bankr. M.D. Ga.); In re Zero Energy Systems, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Iowa); In re World Marketing Chicago, LLC, et al. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Newton Manufacturing Co. (Bankr. S.D. Iowa); In re Natural Pork Production II, LP (Bankr. S.D. Iowa); In re Quadrant 4 Systems Corp. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Trainor Glass Company (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Lyon Workspace Products, LLC (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Giordano’s Enterprises, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Midwest Banc Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Schwab Industries, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio); In re Arch Aluminum & Glass Co. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.); In re Arena Football League, LLC (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Orius Corporation, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Gluth Bros. Construction, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Trinsic, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Ala.); In re Midcom Communications, Inc. (Bankr. E.D. Mich.)
- Counsel to liquidating trustees and plan administrators in the prosecution of mass bankruptcy preference claims in various notable chapter 11 cases, including: In re Thrush Aircraft, Inc. (Bankr. M.D. Ga.); In re Arro Corp. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re GenCanna Global USA (Bankr. E.D. Ky.); In re Zero Energy Systems, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Iowa); In re AgFeed USA, LLC (Bankr. D. Del.); In re Newton Manufacturing Co. (Bankr. S.D. Iowa); In re World Marketing Chicago, LLC (Bankr. N.D. Ill); In re Trainor Glass Company (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Lyon Workspace Products, LLC, et al. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re Arch Aluminum & Glass Co. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.); In re Duke & King Acquisition, Inc. (Bankr. D. Minn.); In re Workflow Management, Inc. (Bankr. E.D. Va.); In re Orius Corp. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); In re marchFirst, Inc. (Bankr. ND. Ill.); In re Gluth Bros. Construction (N.D. Ill.); In re Schwab Industries, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio); In re Mid-City Parking, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Ill.); and In re Knight-Celotex, LLC (Bankr. N.D.Ill.)
- Counsel to Bisteca, LLC in its efforts to restructure the operations of Red, the Steakhouse in Miami Beach, a representation culminating in the TMA Chicago/Midwest Chapter’s 2020 Small Turnaround of the Year
- Special counsel to D&O insurance policy carriers to assess, value and resolve significant breach of fiduciary duty claims against policies asserted by liquidating trustees
- Bankruptcy counsel to a multi-national Fortune 500 information technology outsourcing company in several notable chapter 11 proceedings, including Hawaiian Telecom Communications, Inc. (Bankr. D. Haw.); Delta Air Lines, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.); Entergy New Orleans, Inc. (Bankr. E.D. La.); Interstate Bakeries, Inc. (Bankr. W.D. Mo.); Global Crossings, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.); WorldCom, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.); and NewPage Corporation (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Bankruptcy counsel to a multi-national Fortune 500 insurance and professional services company in various notable chapter 11 proceedings, including Nortel Networks Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.); AbitibiBowater Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.); The Fairchild Corporation (Bankr. D. Del.); Tribune Company (Bankr. D. Del.); Hayes Lemmerz International, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.); Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation (Bankr. D. Del.); R.H. Donnelley Corporation (Bankr. D. Del.); and AMR Corporation (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.)
- Member of team that successfully represented Bank of America, N.A. before the U.S. Supreme Court in Bank of America v. 203 N. LaSalle Street Partnership, which resulted in a seminal decision concerning the ability of pre-bankruptcy equity holders to acquire equity in a reorganized entity
- Counsel to Rockwell Petroleum, Inc. and Deloitte and Touch, Inc., as receiver for CPI Plastics Group, Ltd. in their chapter 15 proceedings before the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Wyoming and the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Counsel to the single largest aircraft financier to United Airlines, Inc. in connection with UAL’s chapter 11 bankruptcy, as well as to other aircraft and equipment financiers in the out-of-court restructuring of American Airlines and the chapter 11 bankruptcies of AMERCO, Inc. (Bankr. D. Nev.), the parent company of U-HAUL, and Atlas Air, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.)
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, magna cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A., James B. Angell Scholar, Pi Sigma Alpha
- New York
- U.S District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware (pro hac vice)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- Recognized by Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for his “unrivaled business judgment and client service,” Aaron is widely acknowledged for his achievements on behalf of his clients
- Section 363 Sale of the Year ($10MM – 25MM) – The M&A Advisor, 2018
- Refinancing Deal of the Year (Under $250MM) – The M&A Advisor, 2017
- Leading Lawyer in Field – Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009-2011, 2013-2014, 2017
- Selected by peers as a Leading Lawyer in: Bankruptcy & Workout Law: Commercial; Creditor’s Rights/Commercial Collections Law, 2008 – 2017
- Large Transaction of the Year – TMA Global, 2014
- Consumer & Retail Products Deal of The Year – The M&A Advisor, 2014
- Illinois Rising Stars – Super Lawyers, 2010-2012
- Outstanding Young Restructuring Attorney – Turnaround & Workouts, 2010
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, publisher of Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer, 2009
- Large Transaction of the Year – TMA Chicago/Midwest Chapter, 2009
- 5.0/5.0 Overall Client Rating – Martindale.com
- Adjunct Professor of the Year, Nominee – Northwestern University School of Law, 2002 & 2003
- Young President’s Organization
- Anti-Defamation League
- Turnaround Management Association
- INSOL International
- New York State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Upcoming Webinar: Aaron L. Hammer Presents, “The Bankruptcy Outlook and a Trifecta of Factors: Global Risk, Inflation, Rising Rates” – 6/23/22May 17, 2022
Join Aaron L. Hammer for an upcoming webinar, “The Bankruptcy Outlook and a Trifecta of Factors: Global Risk, Inflation, Rising Rates,” with S&P Global on June 23rd where he and his co-presenters will dive deeper to refresh the bankruptcy outlook.
- Jeffrey A. Hechtman and Aaron L. Hammer Share Deal Making Insights at the Mid-Market Dealmaker Symposium – 12/15/21November 19, 2021
Jeffrey A. Hechtman and Aaron L. Hammer Discuss Deal Making Insights at the Mid-Market Dealmaker Symposium.
- Aaron L. Hammer and Nathan E. Delman Present, “I Don’t Wanna Hear It! – All About the Equitable Mootness Doctrine” at the CBA Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee Meeting – 11/17/21November 9, 2021
Aaron L. Hammer and Nathan E. Delman Present, “I Don’t Wanna Hear It! – All About the Equitable Mootness Doctrine” at the CBA Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee Meeting.
- Aaron L. Hammer Presents a Webinar, "What's on the Menu? Restaurant Groups Respond to COVID-19" for the TMA Town Hall - 11/11/20November 3, 2020
11/11/20 1:15PM CT Be sure to join the next TMA Town Hall where a robust discussion, featuring former TMA Chicago/Midwest President and restaurant owner Aaron L. Hammer (TMA Chicago/Midwest), along with other industry heavyweights, will leave you with plenty of food for thought as they look ahead toward 2021. Whet your appetite for this session by reading Global Pandemic Is…
- Aaron L. Hammer, Sean D. Auton, Bill Katris and Matthew R. Barrett Present a Webinar "Contract Rights and Insurance Claims Under COVID-19" to the Young Presidents' Organization - 4/8/2020March 30, 2020
4/8/2020 12:00pm CST Sean D. Auton, Aaron L. Hammer, Bill Katris and Matthew R. Barrett will discuss COVID-19 and its impact on Contract Rights and Insurance Claims. This webinar for the Chicagoland Chapter of the Young Presidents' Organization will address questions such as: Contract Rights under COVID-19 I can’t perform under my contract or leases - what remedies do I…
- Corporate Bankruptcies in 2021 and BeyondApril 12, 2021
CHAPTER 11 FILINGS IN 2020 AND BEYOND Unless your January 2020 payroll included Nostradamus, the forthcoming global pandemic and resulting mass quarantines were largely unforeseeable. Last year’s unpredictability did, however, lead to the rather predictable material increase in Chapter 11 bankruptcy filings. Epiq Companies recently reported to the American Bankruptcy Institute that commercial Chapter 11 filings increased 29% in 2020.…
- Force Majeure? It’s Unorthodox, But I’ll Allow It: Bankruptcy Court Excuses § 365(d)(3) Performance Due to CoronavirusJune 10, 2020
In an opinion for our troubled times, Northern District of Illinois Bankruptcy Judge Donald Cassling granted debtor Hitz Restaurant Group (“Hitz”) some reprieve from § 365(d)(3)’s strict requirements due to a combination of COVID-19 shutdown orders and a favorably-worded force majeure clause. Hitz’s landlord, Kass Management Services, Inc. (“Kass”) moved to lift the automatic stay after Hitz stop making its…
- Out-of-Court Distressed Asset Purchases - What You Need to KnowMay 1, 2020
Out-Of-Court Distressed Asset Purchases, a Primer The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted businesses and commercial relationships worldwide, cutting wide swaths of through entire sectors of the economy. The current government regime of subsidizing whole industries and individual businesses is still evolving. Commercial lenders have been incentivized to forbear and defer defaults – but the piper must eventually be paid. Enterprises that…
- New Subchapter V of the Bankruptcy Code May Be the Salvation for Small Businesses to Survive COVID-19May 1, 2020
The Small Business Reorganization Act (SBRA) was enacted in February 2020 with no one anticipating the global pandemic. Today, the financial consequences have hit small businesses hard. The SBRA, commonly known as Subchapter V, may provide much-needed relief to small businesses as they struggle through the crisis. With the Subchapter V election likely to surge during and after the pandemic,…
- Bankruptcy in the Time of CoronavirusApril 6, 2020
The Coronavirus crisis has arrived. This global pandemic has placed a hard stop on economic activity across the board, sending markets into freefall and skyrocketing unemployment claims to unprecedented heights. Chapter 11 filings are anticipated to surge, forcing bankruptcy courts to clean up large swaths of the crisis’ aftermath. But for now, it is anyone’s guess when the uptick in…
- HMB Announced as Winner of the 16th Annual Turnaround Awards: Out-of-Court Restructuring Deal of the YearJune 1, 2022
HMB is the recipient of The M&A Advisor Turnaround Award for Out-of-Court Restructuring Deal of the Year. HMB was recognized for its representation of Europa Sports Products, LLC (“Europa”) in its successful sale to Europa Sports Partners, LLC (“ESP”). Congratulations to: Aaron L. Hammer, Keith Berk, Nathan E. Delman, Dan Wen, Casey E. Rivard and Elise Anderson.
- Aaron L. Hammer Featured on The Winning Momentum PodcastApril 27, 2022
Aaron L. Hammer was recently featured on The Winning Momentum Podcast with Scott Sinclair. Aaron and Scott discuss entrepreneurship and Aaron shares his experience as both a corporate bankruptcy attorney and an entrepreneur.
- Aaron L. Hammer Shares Insight on Corporate Bankruptcies with S&P GlobalMarch 22, 2022
HMB’s Aaron L. Hammer predicts corporate bankruptcies will remain low this year in an S&P Global article.
- Aaron L. Hammer Discusses Corporate Bankruptcy Filings with S&P Market IntelligenceJanuary 18, 2022
Aaron L. Hammer discusses corporate bankruptcy filings with S&P Market Intelligence.
- HMB Retained as Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Something Sweet Acquisition, Inc.October 1, 2021
On July 26, 2021, the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Something Sweet Acquisition, Inc. selected HMB Legal Counsel (“HMB”) as its counsel, with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware approving HMB’s retention on September 23, 2021. Something Sweet Acquisition, Inc. and Something Sweet, Inc. (together “Something Sweet”) are industry leaders in the production and sale of…