Tara is a Partner in HMB’s Business and Finance Group and leads the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. She focuses her practice on all aspects of strategic brand counseling, management, expansion and enforcement.
Working with clients ranging from middle-market companies, brand and marketing agencies and cannabis start-ups to multinational corporations, Tara develops, protects, manages and enforces her clients’ intellectual property rights both in the US and abroad. Her brand strategy and protection practice comprises all aspects of trademark and copyright matters including:
- Strategic counseling
- Selection, adoption and use of trademarks
- Domestic and international trademark prosecution
- Portfolio management
- Enforcement of trademarks and dispute work, including opposition and cancellation proceedings with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- WIPO domain name disputes
- Copyright registration and enforcement
- Intellectual Property assignments, licensing and acquisitions
A former counsel at Dentons having interacted with and directed local counsel in over 100 jurisdictions, Tara represents clients globally in a variety of industries, including marketing services; cannabis; retail; real estate development and management; food and hospitality; software and Internet; media and entertainment; apparel and fashion; art, theater and dance; automotive; craft and party supplies; hotels and leisure; insurance and financial services; health care; telecommunications; and manufacturing.
One Step Ahead
Clients enjoy working with Tara. They appreciate her affable demeanor and her ability to “read between the lines” to anticipate their needs. She is widely known as a “go-to” person for branding and transactional trademark work and for providing cost-effective solutions attuned with her clients’ business and personal goals.
- Provides counseling, strategic advice, trademark clearance and enforcement strategies for a startup beverage company in connection with its product lines
- Develops and implements trademark and copyright protection and branding strategies for a global bridal design company featured in the New York times, Vogue Paris and Martha Stewart Weddings, counsels in the area of copyright infringement of fabric design, and spearheads trademark clearance, counseling and prosecution of the company’s trademarks
- Represents a founder and innovator of a physical education system and lifestyle in trademark and copyright matters
- Represents a full-service marketing agency in the maintenance and enforcement of its client’s trademarks
- Provides a family-owned food product company brand clearance, trademark prosecution and brand protection services
- Counseled suppliers and manufacturers of CBD and hemp-based raw ingredients in the clearance and prosecution of U.S. federal and state trademarks
- Represented the IP interests of a seller in connection with the sale of a mid-size snack food company, and handled negotiations of the sale of its trademarks and related inventory
- Reviewed and opined on the IP enforcement and brand protection strategy of a leading confectionary company after learning that the client’s best-selling product was being sprayed with a THC coating and sold in medical containers under the client’s federally registered trademark in states where edible marijuana products are legal
- Provided trademark and copyright counseling to an inventor and best-selling Author behind a multi-million-dollar business offering products to loosen fascia tissue and improve consumers’ overall health, counseled on trademark and copyright infringement matters, conducted worldwide trademark searching, clearance and prosecution, and handled issues involving the unauthorized use of the client’s image and likeness
- Conducted and defended opposition and cancellation proceedings, addressed trademark infringement disputes and managed an international trademark portfolio for a client in the hospitality industry
- Spearheaded the rebranding of a high-profile global professional service company that had undergone three brand changes over a period of five years. Tara instituted and maintained a multijurisdictional filing initiative in over 85 countries, as well as an enforcement strategy
- Counseled a world-leading miller and marketer of rice on expanding protection of its brands in the Caribbean and Middle East, including the expansion of its existing trademark portfolio and enforcement of its brand against infringers.
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2004
University of Arizona, B.A., summa cum laude, 2000
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Shortlisted in Rising Star-IP category, Euromoney’s Women in Business Law Award, 2016-2018
International Trademark Association (INTA)
Intellectual Property Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
Chicago Women in IP (ChiWIP)
- Creative Visions Foundation: Oversaw trademark prosecution, protection and right of publicity matters. The Foundation debuted a feature film in 2016 premiering at the Toronto Film Festival based on the life of the late photojournalist Dan Eldon, who was tragically killed on assignment in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993, and who inspired the nonprofit’s mission of promoting activism through creativity. The nonprofit is led by Dan Eldon’s mother, Kathy Eldon who worked with Tara earnestly to keep her son’s works and vision alive.
- The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation: Counseled on trademark clearance, counseling, brand protection for the world’s largest nonprofit solely dedicated to the pediatric brain tumor community.
Co-author, “Controlling Your Brand in the Age of Social Media,” IPWatchdog, January 3, 2019
Co-author, “Don’t Fall in Love At First Sight: A Guide To Selecting A Brand Name,” Branding Quarterly, November 2017