This attorney will support a group of partners in HMB’s Business and Finance Group, with a particular focus on partners working within the banking and debt finance industry. The practice consists of representing middle market banking institutions, mid to larger sized privately held businesses, and private equity funds. While a majority of the associate’s time will be directed towards debt finance projects and transactions, the associate will also gain experience in equity finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general counsel matters and opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and organize client documents, schedules and follow up items
- Participate in complex transactions
- Draft complex agreements
- Respond promptly and efficiently to internal and external client requests, seeking guidance from supervising Partners as needed
- Proactively build rapport with clients and endeavor to understand each client’s industry
- Conduct research; effectively and accurately communicate results and advice
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Relating to Debt Finance:
- Represent both lenders and borrowers in complex commercial loan transactions by negotiating transactions from commencement to closing
- Manage junior associates, paralegals and other members of the transactional deal team
- Draft loan agreements, security agreements and other substantive loan documents
- Assist with building a specialty finance practice within the Business and Finance Group
- Draft articles and participate in speaking engagements to develop a niche as a thought leader within the debt finance industry
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Juris Doctor degree; licensed to practice law in IL
- 4+ years of law firm, corporate law and M&A experience
- Accounting/Finance background a plus
- Strong drafting skills; written work product is effective and concise, demonstrates thoughtful, clear sequencing of ideas; presents ideas and fact patterns persuasively
- Excellent organizational skills, detail orientated and proficient in working with charts, checklists, agendas and other project management and organizational tools
- Values a culture of collaboration and is committed to working in a team environment to foster and expand existing client relationships and develop new business opportunities
- Strong interpersonal skills; enjoys working with and interacting with people; professional demeanor with the ability to interact with clients in a mature and friendly manner; comfortable conversing with C-level executives
- Highly motivated and eager for client-facing opportunities and growing long-term client relationships
- Eager to develop into a leader within the firm; demonstrates a strong desire to contribute to the firm’s success.
- Flexible to change work priorities and direction based on fast-paced, ever-changing client needs
Individuals in this position must possess physical and sensory ability necessary to safely and successfully perform all essential job functions and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.